lunes, 27 de julio de 2015

Mr Presidance: Barack Obama shows off his moves at Kenya state dinner

By The Guardian

The US president is caught on camera as he joins in with the Lipala, a dance taking the country by storm

The US commander-in-chief threw formality to the winds when he joined guests in an impromptu dance at a state dinner in Nairobi.

Barack Obama was serenaded in English and Swahili by the Kenyan afro-pop bandSauti Sol at the weekend. “We are so sad that our mother Michelle could not come,” the lead singer said, referring to Obama’s wife, as he introduced a song called Coming Home.

Several numbers later, Obama stood up, buttoned up his jacket and joined in with the Lipala – a dance that has taken Kenya’s dancehalls by storm. Soon, the entire top table was up, including the Kenyan president and first lady Uhuru and Margaret Kenyatta, and the US national security adviser, Susan Rice. When it was done, the laughing president hugged his half-sister, Auma.

The Nairobi youth orchestra and choir performed next, accompanying Kenyatta’s niece, Kavi Pratt, who was on vocals. When she offered a rendition of At Last, Obama sang along, but without a microphone.

Offering a toast in the white marquee at Kenya’s state house, Kenyatta said: “What President Barack Obama has given back to us is a belief and a hope that, empowered, we can do and achieve for ourselves.

“He has given us the tools and the belief that it is possible, through our own initiative and hard work, that we can take control of our own destiny, and that we can lead change, not just on our continent but in the world. I don’t think there could be a bigger gift.”

Obama responded: “Part of what makes this a special evening for me is the presence of my family members who are here. My grandmother, Mama Sarah, who told me I had to come back to Kenya. And when she says you should do something, generally you have to do it.

“My siblings are here, aunts, uncles. And so, tonight, I welcome all of them to a somewhat unusual Obama family reunion. I suspect that some of my critics back home are suggesting that I’m back here to look for my birth certificate. That is not the case.”

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario